Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

21 January 2009

When we come to it

Would you drive over this bridge?


Actually, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is not as steep as it looks from this angle. It did freak me out for a minute, though, coz I had promised DS we'd cross over to the next county as part of our last birding trip.

All the time I lived in the Tampa Bay area, I wouldn't drive over this bridge because I'd heard so many horror stories about its construction. I had second thoughts as I stood in the park and shot that first picture. But when we got closer, it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I'd imagined. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed the crossing and hope to do it again when we have time to linger longer.

This was a whirlwind tour of as many counties as we could cover in two days, so we didn't stop anywhere long enough to seek out the best photographic angles. I just shot where I stood and hoped for the best. As it happens, Meems has also posted about the Sunshine Skyway today. She has some great pics of the bridge, including some really nice zooms of the 'sails'. So I'm going to be lazy and refer y'all over to her site to learn more about it. 8-}


Have a JESUS-filled day! ^i^

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! You were in my backyard! When you got off the Skyway you were on the island where I live. You didn't call! Next time...

Meems said...

YOUR photos are great. I didn't think fast enough last time we were over it to stop before we got to it. What park were you in?

Last year I went over this bridge on the back of hubby's motorcycle ... what a ride!

Amazing you were doing this at the same exact time that I was. Hmmmm...

Meems @ For the Love of Florida

SophieMae said...

Cathy, I wish I'd planned in advance and gotten your #. This was literally a last-minute thing. I cashed out a (very small) money market account that wasn't making enough interest and decided I deserved a little fun. Driving 800 miles in 2½ days was the catch.

Meems, the first shot was from the little wayside park with the USCGC Blackthorn Memorial. The other was amost an afterthought when we checked out the fishing pier.

Unknown said...

Love your blog.And I absolutely refuse to go over THAT bridge!!I go the l-o-n-g way around to get south of Tampa.Just can't do it.

SophieMae said...

CC/JJ, I've always felt exactly the same about it, but I finally just had to do it. *gulp*

Graceanne Grateful said...

Sophie, guess I would; I've driven over the St. John's river bridge in Jacksonville many many times, and although I don't believe its quite as steep its pretty high and a looong one.
The one I would NEVER drive over is the "Hughey Long" bridge in Louisiana!!! LOL
Have a wonderful day in Jesus.
In HIS love, G G :)

SophieMae said...

Graceanne, I love those Jax bridges. I've driven over the Pontchartrain causeway, but I'm with you on the HPL bridge.

Have a JESUS-filled day! ^i^

Joyfull said...

I am not crazy about the Jacksonville bridges, go over them with my eyes closed! This one is mighty big!! Beauiful pictures though!