Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

04 February 2011

I'm mad!!!

I was just thinking what a nice deal I found - 1/2+ off a manatee or dolphin excursion in Crystal River - when I read what the manatee tour included. Isn't touching a manatee in the wild illegal?! Apparently, the same people who are supposed to be working to protect these wondermous creatures see nothing wrong with issuing special permits to bottom feeders looking to cash in on the docile nature of Florida's state marine mammal. What's wrong with this picture?!

I just watched a short video of divers 'snuggling' up to a group of manatees who couldn't get into the warm springs, as it was already overcrowded. They were cold and hungry and trying their best to stay warm and conserve energy. You cold see that they were trying to get away from the people who used them to push off, rode on their backs and chased after them.

DAWG! There's a reason there are laws against this stuff! But if you shell out a little cash, we'll let you do it, anyway.

Now I realize that there are two sides to every story. If anybody can tell me any part of the other side that makes this OK, please enlighten me. Coz right now, I'm kinda sick to my stomach.

2 comments:

Sayre said...

I know people who have touched manatees - but with great reverence, not like a giant water toy!!! My friend is a photographer and was taking pictures of the lovely beasts.

I am horrified by the picture you paint of how the Crystal River manatees are being treated. I wonder who you would report such activity to?

Mikki said...

I almost forgot that you had this Florida Cracker blog. Don't know how I lost the feed, but it's been awhile since I've been here.

Thank you SOOOO much for your great comments on my bungalow blog. I LOVE the site you sent me on bungalow garages! Awesome! Can't wait to look at it more.

Yes, we will be choosing another type than the one I played with. We are going to go with a simpler style.

Thanks again. I would love to have your email so we could stay in contact a little more about DeL...
Feel free to email me at
thenotsoperfecthousewife at cfl dot rr dot com