Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

26 September 2008

Pretty in Pink

looking as unfurled two rose-coloured masses... (+ 2)

With this beautiful autumness going on, I just had to get out and drive the other day. I thought about the main refuge, but it was late in the day, so I decided on Bottoms Road instead. It was definitely the right choice. 22 storks flying over and more feeding in the shallows. Lots of Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets, Tricoloured Herons, and... FOUR ROSEATE SPOONBILLS! I snapped and snapped and snapped and finally drove up the road to turn around and try for a better angle. Just as I was approaching the perfect spot, a man parked his truck there, got out and slid down the slope with his castnet. The eats must have been great there, coz no birds flew. They did, however, move around behind the reeds, so the shooting was over.


I sure hope they stay around for a while so I can get back out there with my tripod and shoot some more. Savour the season, y'all! 8-]

5 comments:

R.Powers said...

We never get tired of your spoonbills.

SwampAngel65 said...

I love seeing their color!

Unknown said...

I just found your blog, I really love it!

I'm also a Florida blogger, specializing on "water." I'm a hydrologist with the National Park Service down in Big Cypress National Preserve.

I see that Alligator Point is on Choctawhatchee Bay ... I've never been there ... but I do periodically post data on the Apalachicola and upstream Lanier.

Now I can stay in tune with your blog ...

Many thanks,
and Take Care,
Bob

Baker Watson said...

How cool! Hope they stay around a few days so you can get some more shots.

Baker

Brine Queen said...

Now that's a view! I was hoping to catch a glimpse of some spoonbills when I went visiting down there, but no such luck. Great sight!