Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

08 January 2008

End of the search

Well, I finally chose a new camera and ordered the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18K today. I was seriously considering the Sony DSC H9, as well. The tie-breaker was a stupid move on my part last time I was in Tampa. I took so many pictures, my 1GB card ran out of space, so I bought a new one. I figured I might as well go ahead and get a 2GB card and happily returned to the hotel to fight the package and retrieve the prize. The desk clerk was very sympathetic and rounded up a hefty pair of scissors to aid me in the battle. Between us, we finally rescued the card from its plastic prison and I dashed back to the room to swap memories. But there was one tiny problem. There's always one tiny problem. There was an error message. I finally figured out the problem. I had gone for the gusto and bought a platinum card. My camera couldn't handle it. So I had to go back out and get another card. And I've been stuck with this one ever since. The Panasonic uses the same type memory card. 8-}

The other day, I went to look for a Broad-billed Hummingbird that had been spotted over in Blountstown. Several other birders were already there, all with big fancy cameras and accessories. Standing behind one lady, I had a nice view of her screen and was amazed. The pictures she was snapping were incredible. I squirmed around and managed to see that it was a Canon. Finally, I had to ask. She said it was the EOS 40D, which just came out last August. I'm definitely going to have to start saving my pennies for next Christmas.

We never did see the hummer, but there were several other delightful little beauties flitting around. I'm going to try to get over there again sometime this week, hopefully early enough to catch him at breakfast. Meanwhile, I'm scouting for a nice, inexpensive external or portable hard drive so I can move pictures back and forth between computers. It's always something, isn't it? The more technology we get, the more we need. LOL!

Y'all have a JESUS-filled day! ^i^
.

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Nice to see you back out and about! I am presently battling the kind of killer cold that you had, complete with emergency trip to the Dr. this morning and the purchase of a large bottle of penicillin... Anyway--congrats on the new camera order! Can't wait to see the photos! And looking to the future, if you consider venturing into DSLRs (the 40D is a DSLR), look into the Sony A100 (less than the 40D) or A700 (about the same price as the 40D by next Christmas). You might have to get a new memory card but the image stabilization is built into the camera so you will save having to pay more to get it in the lenses--and it's important for those spoonbill and other bird shots!

R.Powers said...

Hummers now?
Wow.
Glad you got a new camera. We'll be looking forward to great shots.
We can all aspire to shoot shots like Peggy does.
Glad she's mending too.

SophieMae said...

Peggy, I'll be praying you're better quickly! I saw some absolutely jaw-dropping hummer pics today taken with the 40D. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the cameras you mentioned, as well.

FC, you're so right about aspiring to Peggy's skill level. I certanly have no problem with the practice, practice, practice concept. 8-] I just hope our pretty pitiful PO is more efficient than usual this week.

Steve said...

Hey, Sophie, congratulations on the new camera choice. I'm sure you'll have a great time with it, and I look forward to seeing what results emerge.

A Broad-billed Hummingbird in Florida...wow. It's amazing how many western hummingbird species are coming east during the winter in recent years. And did you hear about the Green-breasted Mango in Georgia? I haven't been to see it. I chased on in NC one year and missed it.

Meems said...

Hi Sophie and congratulations! You've been thinking about this for a long time. Can't wait to see your new photos since the ones you take now are terrific.

I've been thinking about the 40D for an upgrade but all that lense stuff is so confusing to me still. I figure I better just keep at it with what I have until I understand more. What Peggy says makes sense though... all those lenses you need for the DSLR and the ones with Image Stabilization (which you wouldn't want to live without) are so much more expensive. Anyway... so it goes with everything.

Have fun!

SophieMae said...

Steve, I sure wish the GA bird was closer. Maybe one day...

Meems, I have trouble understanding all the technical stuff about photography. as well. I've scouted the library for a beginner's book that makes sense to me, but my brain always glazes over by page 2. 8-}