Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

30 January 2009

Florida Factoid Friday

In 1946, President Harry S. Truman retreated to Key West and ended up returning to relax for 175 days during his presidency. The two-story building he lived in, "Quarters A," was originally the commandant's home at the Key West Naval Station. In time it would be referred to as the 'Winter White House', and then the 'Little White House'.

In addition to Truman, President Eisenhower used the home while recuperating from a heart attack in 1956 and in 1961, the site played host to President John F. Kennedy and British Prime Minister Harold MacMillan during the Bay of Pigs incident.

4 comments:

Graceanne Grateful said...

You sure find some interesting facts to post, Sophie. Yes, and Truman surely deserved a rest after all the hard decisions he had to make during the war. - Guess I'm telling my age but I was a teenager when world war two ended.
Have a wonderful weekend in the Lord. If Baker doesn't do it, I'm going to try to put a photo hunt on this Saturday.
In HIS love, G G :)

OhioMom said...

Love your site! Thanks so much for taking the time to drop by and visit me :)

cedrorum said...

I think I need to retire there for a week or two. Nice looking place.

SophieMae said...

Graceanne, The Keys is (are?) a wonderful place to recoup. Unfortunately, as with so many of FL's best locales, it's become all touristy and too expensive for us crackers.

OhioMom, thanks ever so! Come back often. 8-]

Cedrorum, I'd prefer a month or two. 8-]