Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

01 October 2007

Just a mirage

Quick trivia byte:



Every now and then, I see airborne islands (click pic to enlarge) down at the Gulf coast.

superior mirage


'A superior mirage occurs when an image of an object appears above the actual object, due to the refraction or bending of light waves from the object down toward the eyes of the observer. Downward refraction occurs because air closer to the ground is colder, and therefore more
dense, than air higher up.'

When you see 'water' on a hot road, that is the most common example of an inferior mirage. What you see is not always what you get.

5 comments:

h said...

Good photography on this blog. You should play Mute Mondays!

But, heck, I'm only a 6th Generation Cracker. What do I know?

SwampAngel65 said...

Great info! When I look out across the bay here, I see islands, but they are real. BUT, this info has put a seed in my head...I'll remember it in the future:)

SophieMae said...

Welcome, ArtfulSub! And thanks ever so! I'll try to remember to check that out.

SwampAngel, there actually are islands out there, but they're floating in the water, not above it. It's just such a totally cool illusion.

SwampAngel65 said...

Oh. I feel so stupid now. Time to play with my 3 year old to feel smart again... or talk to my 18 yr. old... mission would be accomplished either way!

SophieMae said...

SwampAngel, I just wish I had a dollar for every time I've made myself feel stupid. And it's almost always 'just me'. Nine times out of ten, it's a natural mistake. I like your solutions. Although, there were times interacting with my (then) 3yo just made me feel stupider. LOL!